Dietary fibre: an old concept in new light?
With Dr Megan Rossi, RD
Dietary fibre has been dubbed the Cinderella nutrient, but could it be the secret for optimal gut health? In recent years, our understanding of dietary fibre has progressed considerably uncovering potential therapeutic opportunities applicable in both health and disease which further supports the importance of healthy plant-based eating patterns. This talk will review the latest evidence, current recommendations and future areas of research to support clinicians in practice. The key objectives will include:
- Review the evolution of dietary fibre as a nutrient
- Investigate mechanisms underpinning its health benefits
- Understand fibres role in manipulating the gut microbiota
- Insight into the latest clinical trials
- Practical tips for translation into practice
Could this FREE one hour CPD NutriWebinar on Fibre be for you?
Grab a cuppa and brush up on Fibre on Wednesday evening 7th November 8-9pm.
Be aware of:
- Different types fibre and new classification.
- Interaction between fibre and gut flora.
- Fibre’s mechanisms of action for health benefits.
- New dietary recommendations.
- IBS and low FODMAPs and importance of specialist dietetic advice.
- A better understanding of the gut microbiota.
- The multiple health benefits of fibre beyond gut health including mental health.
- How far away from the new fibre recommendations is the UK and how to achieve it.
- Rich food sources of fibre vs current UK key food contributors to fibre intake.
- Impact of increasing fibre and plant-based foods for overall health and sustainability.
- Common reasons and some solutions for individuals reporting fibre side effects.
Be able to:
- Confidently explain the impact of the fibres on gut microbiota and association with various health benefits.
- Better target an individual’s motivation for making dietary changes to increase fibre intake.
- Recommend every-day realistic dietary solutions to increase fibre at all meal times and snacks.
- Readily access practical and scientific information on fibre and health.
Dr Megan Rossi, RD
Research Fellow Kings College London
Megan is a Registered Dietitian with a PhD in gut health from the Faculty of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences at the University of Queensland, Australia. Megan’s PhD was recognised for its contribution to science receiving the Dean’s Award for excellence.
Megan is currently the research fellow at King’s College London investigating nutrition-based therapies in gastrointestinal (GI) health, including pre- & probiotics, dietary fibres, the low FODMAP diet and food additives. Megan was the recipient of the 2017 British Medical Journal Open Gastroenterology prize ‘Best clinical science abstract for oral presentation’ and the British Nutrition Foundation ‘Drummond Pump Priming Award’.
Megan also leads a GI health clinic on Harley Street in London and is currently writing an evidence-based guide to your gut health, to be published by Penguin Life in 2019.
Webinar Host and Moderator
Tanya Haffner, Dietitian & Director, Nutrilicious.
CERTIFICATE OF ATTENDANCE AND CPD
This NutriWebinar has been endorsed for CPD by the BDA.
Certificates of attendance, copies of slides along with Q&As will be provided to all attendees once they have viewed the webinar.
Register now and you can ask a question of any or all of the panellists, plus download helpful material during the broadcast.
THIS WEBINAR IS OPEN TO all PROFESSIONALS WORKING IN THE FIELD OF NUTRITION AND HEALTH.
Hot topics in food nutrition and health – supporting a healthy understanding of food.
Nutrilicious Dietitians and Registered Nutritionists for all health professionals and influencers.
About NutriWebinar These hour-long professional development webinars are free to attend. Learn about a broad range of hot topics in food nutrition and health from expert speakers. Sharing healthy evidence-based science and everyday practice NutriWebinar aims to help you keep up to date, share knowledge, insights and perspectives and separate fact from fiction and providing credible ideas to benefit your professional development and everyday work. Each Webinar is curated and moderated by an expert Dietitian or Registered Nutritionist and provides you with the opportunity of asking your questions to the expert speaker(s). Simply use the registration links below to register and attend. We look forward to you joining in. Once registered, you will receive three reminder emails – one a week before the webinar, one a day before and one on the day of the webinar. Each webinar is recorded – you will be sent a link to the recording approximately 48 hours after the event. The NutriWebinars are provided for professional education and debate. Those who attend the webinar will receive a certificate of attendance. NutriWebinars are not intended to be used by non-medically qualified individuals or as a substitute for, or basis for any medical treatment.
This webinar is being kindly supported by an educational grant from the science and nutrition department at Alpro.
NutriWebinar offers organisations and brands an opportunity to sponsor topics and assess the viewpoints of professionals about a selected topic within a moderated environment. If there is a topic that you would like to support please get in touch to discuss email@example.com. Sponsorship of any NutriWebinar does not imply any endorsement of the brand by NutriWebinar, its organisers, its moderators or any participating healthcare professional, or their association. Sponsorship funds are reinvested into the creation and promotion of NutriWebinar.
Wish to be Featured in a NutriWebinar?
NutriWebinar guest experts span the nutrition and health and related universe encompassing diverse and relevant topics to all health professionals and influencers in food and health and across all health and business sectors.
Do you wish to be featured in a webinar or would you like to propose a guest expert?
Wish to sponsor a NutriWebinar?
NutriWebinar offers organisations and brands an opportunity to sponsor topics and assess the viewpoints of professionals about a selected topic within a moderated environment. If there is a topic that you would like to support please get in touch to discuss firstname.lastname@example.org.